Gender Neutral Baby Blanket

I found out a few months ago that my cousins are having a baby!! So exciting! Upon hearing the news one of the first things I did was wonder what new Baby will be like when he or she arrives... and whether Baby will be a he or a she. Understandably, not all parents-to-be want to determine their baby's gender before Baby arrives and there is definitely a level of excitement in waiting for that news :)
The next thing  I did was brainstorm several gift ideas that I could make the wonderful parents-to-be for their little bundle of joy and decided I'd like to make a baby blanket. However, I found it a bit challenging to find nursery prints that were gender neutral. I was overwhelmed by PINK and BLUE in the baby aisles of fabric stores. They were also littered with the typical locomotives, airplanes and boats for boys and butterflies and flowers for girls. Don't get me wrong, these fabrics were down right cute, but only appropriate when the gender of Baby is known.

Organic Redy Set Go by Anne Kelle
The main yellow and green nursery fabrics were rather unimpressive designs of plaids, stripes and polka dots. Disappointingly, the softest type of fabric I could find with these neutral colors was flannel. I was really wanting to find a super soft chenille.
Green Plaid Fabric
Yellow Heart Fabric
The next thing I thought of was using black and white fabrics with a burst of color like red or orange. I think that would be great for a diaper bag or something that the parents would mostly carry, but I wanted something "baby" for Baby.
Courtesy: http://bit.ly/cs0CPf
I came upon this incredibly soft fabric in a baby animal print. It's adorable! I think baby animals are a rather safe theme for gender neutral baby items. I incorporated a pale yellow border to add to the neutrality of the blanket. I love the yellows and greens of the fabric and the baby animals  on it are so darn cute!

This was the first baby blanket I've ever made and I had so much fun doing it. There's something incredibly special about creating gifts for those you care about. I hope Baby spends lots of time cuddling with and playing on this blanket!

1 comment

  1. Thank you so much for the information related to choose the gender of the baby. Recently one of my colleagues had suggested me that I should follow technique of baby gender calculator and it is really effective. This method is also costs less than others in the market.

    ReplyDelete